Pages

a photographer talks

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

VIFF 2nd movie is A Drummer's Dream

I walked down town again to the VIFF. The afternoon on Monday turned sunny. I walked down Hastings Street into downtown. It is not always my route for many reasons, but today was sunny after rain and I felt like it. There is a new gallery the Gam at 110 East Hastings directly across from the building that was the Smilin' Buddha. The Gam is a gallery, boutique and artist studio located in Vancouver’s downtown east side and fronts an artist-only building. The link is here http://gamgallery.com/

I stopped into the gallery at 156 West Hastings Street to pick up my pocket size art piece 'Vancouver Punk Stamps' from The Pocket Show that ran from Sep 5 to the 18. Yes it is 4 inches by 4 inches so fits in pocket just fine.



There was a part of me that seemed to be wondering why I was going to a movie about drummers. Yes I had picked it but I was wondering. The show was at 6:30 on Monday night and there is one more showing of this Canadian film directed by John Walker. I had watched the trailer before I left home. Looked lovely.

This movie is a Canadian documentary about a drumming camp with 7 of the best drummers in the world, Nasyr Abdul Al-Khabyyr, Dennis Chambers, Kenwood Dennard, Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez, Giovanni Hidalgo, Mike Mangini, Raul Rekow and 40 students in an idyllic Canadian setting. This film is an NFB movie that should be seen by all of us with our original drum, our heart beat.

This photo of John Walker was taken at the Q&A after the show. He had been a drummer many years ago, and making this movie has brought him full circle back to drumming.







Next showing of A Drummer's Dream is Wed, Oct 6th 3:00pm Visa Screening Room @ Empire Granville Th7


next movies on Wed, none for me today

1 comment:

  1. This documentary is fantastic! It's for everyone who has a natural drumbeat inside - the heart. This movie touches the ticker. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Followers