I walked down town again to the VIFF. The afternoon on Monday turned sunny. I walked down Hastings Street into downtown. It is not always my route for many reasons, but today was sunny after rain and I felt like it. There is a new gallery the Gam at 110 East Hastings directly across from the building that was the Smilin' Buddha. The Gam is a gallery, boutique and artist studio located in Vancouver’s downtown east side and fronts an artist-only building. The link is here http://gamgallery.com/
I stopped into the gallery at 156 West Hastings Street to pick up my pocket size art piece 'Vancouver Punk Stamps' from The Pocket Show that ran from Sep 5 to the 18. Yes it is 4 inches by 4 inches so fits in pocket just fine.
There was a part of me that seemed to be wondering why I was going to a movie about drummers. Yes I had picked it but I was wondering. The show was at 6:30 on Monday night and there is one more showing of this Canadian film directed by John Walker. I had watched the trailer before I left home. Looked lovely.
This movie is a Canadian documentary about a drumming camp with 7 of the best drummers in the world, Nasyr Abdul Al-Khabyyr, Dennis Chambers, Kenwood Dennard, Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez, Giovanni Hidalgo, Mike Mangini, Raul Rekow and 40 students in an idyllic Canadian setting. This film is an NFB movie that should be seen by all of us with our original drum, our heart beat.
This photo of John Walker was taken at the Q&A after the show. He had been a drummer many years ago, and making this movie has brought him full circle back to drumming.
Next showing of A Drummer's Dream is Wed, Oct 6th 3:00pm Visa Screening Room @ Empire Granville Th7
next movies on Wed, none for me today
a photographer talks
- Night of The Undead part 4 (bands 13, 14)
- Night of The Undead part 3 (bands 9,10,11,12)
- Night of the Undead part 2 (bands 5,6,7,8)
- Night of the Undead (bands 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Randy Quaid part 2
- Public or Private
- Grinder & I are waiting for DeadTV
- DEADTV - Anton Newcombe
- Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt and The Magnetic F...
- The Yellow Bittern: The Life and Times of Liam Cla...
- Wed - Rejoice and Shout at VIFF
- Wed - Baby Arabia at VIFF
- VIFF 2nd movie is A Drummer's Dream
- VIFF 2nd day movie is A drummer's Dream
- VIFF 1st movie amazing - Microphone
- To the woman who asked Rampage who the two grannie...
- Bookcamp 2010
- Vancouver International Film Festival
- ▼ October (19)